Studying snow

It recently snowed in my local area and I decided to go about recreating realistic snow in 3D. Snow doesn’t sound like the hardest thing to recreate. Its solid white, and covers an area from above. However snow is not perfect. Especially when its been stepped on and turned to slush! I found an amazing tutorial on Blender Guru (youtube). This tutorial explained a way of using displacement maps to manipulate a surface. I was particularly interested in the tyre treads and footprints. This is a very clever method to producing realistic snow, on top of this the material added smaller details. I wanted to try this for myself.
I followed the tutorial and used the provided resources from Blender Guru. Here I have sown my results.

one edit

looking closer at my results I picked out areas that could be improved.

I took some reference photos to further study, using reference photos is as important as looking at your subject whilst painting. The general snow structure is pretty much done, however the material could be improved. In different scenarios where snow may have fallen on cobbles, the cobbles would be visible underneath the snow. Using the displacement map is the best way to define thickness of snow. Using this information I modified the material to show another material underneath. An alternative to this, is to create a plane underneath with a different material, then using the displacement map to change its opacity.

My reference photos provided up close shots of snow, the finer details. I added an extra noise node, so the edges of the snowy area aren’t as sharp. The smaller details became a focus to selling the effect. I noticed in the PC game The Division that this effect was heavily used in their gaming engine Snow drop, thus creating rather immersive environments. Clearly this game was concentrated on graphics and new game engine features. So far this is my favourite engine alongside Unreal and Cry-engine in terms of visuals.

This technique to producing snow can be transferred across different platforms.

Vanist 17

A photography project for Vanist clothing. Bringin their new products into 2017. I took photo’s of collected models from MMU. The photo’s featured on the online store and social media.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQa-bcqjUCj/?taken-by=nmzwk

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQa-SmKjvaE/?taken-by=nmzwk

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQa-JNOjwpZ/?taken-by=nmzwk

Experimental territory

My uni work is reflecting in my own. These personal graphics are largely inspired by my subject in modern design. Incorporation of text and simple ways to portray idea and feelings.

We fade to grey. Happy holidays! #3ddesign #3dartist #graphicdesigns #artistmafia

A post shared by MZWK 👁 (@nmzwk) on

 

Cinema 4D

Cinema 4D! the motion graphics tool of choice, well I’d better get my head around it. This software is growing in popularity at a strong rate. I also noticed it was in practise at my previous internship. Through university I have been learning the software, these are my first results.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BN_dTcFjTq-/?taken-by=nmzwk

Car-Design WIP

  • Previously I have built cars from blueprints and reference images. Well for this project (perhaps series of projects) I’m designing from scratch! To start there is always research required. Looking at the big brands: Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Porsche and McLaren as main design inspirations. Paying particular attention to body flow. This is an on going project!
  • Using Blender3D I created a scene of lines, that would represent the main features. I will only be using Blender3D for the design part of the project, this will provide high quality blueprints I can work with using other software.
Overall Progress
7%
Line Design (Current Stage)
45%
  • Connector.

    Current Stage

    Many iterations of line design have been made and there are still modifications to make. This stage is vital to the rest of the project.

UX21 Manchester

A design that .

Unit X University Project. For this project we were put in groups to design and produce an interesting hoarding for the Circle Square site that is currently under construction. The brief required we pick a word to base a concept upon. We chose ‘Curiosity’. We looked into what makes people curious and ways we could use that information. Our design has changable objects that allow the public to interact with the hoarding.

This design had to be pitched to Bruntwood. I prepared CG images of each object in use and what the user would see. Circle Square is a space that connects different types of people in the same building. Everyone has a curious side, so this idea is very universal to all types of people.
For the pitch I also prepared a virtual reality demo. Demonstrating the hoarding design in use. Along-side this I setup a Wix site to host content so the client could review our pitch. That site can be found here: UX21