Experimental territory

My uni work is reflecting in my own. These personal graphics are largely inspired by my subject in modern design. Incorporation of text and simple ways to portray idea and feelings.

We fade to grey. Happy holidays! #3ddesign #3dartist #graphicdesigns #artistmafia

A post shared by MZWK 👁 (@nmzwk) on

 

Car-Design WIP

  • Previously I have built cars from blueprints and reference images. Well for this project (perhaps series of projects) I’m designing from scratch! To start there is always research required. Looking at the big brands: Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Porsche and McLaren as main design inspirations. Paying particular attention to body flow. This is an on going project!
  • Using Blender3D I created a scene of lines, that would represent the main features. I will only be using Blender3D for the design part of the project, this will provide high quality blueprints I can work with using other software.
Overall Progress
7%
Line Design (Current Stage)
45%
  • Connector.

    Current Stage

    Many iterations of line design have been made and there are still modifications to make. This stage is vital to the rest of the project.

Studying Puddles

Rain is part of the environmental cycle. So rain is seen every now and again, whether we like it or not! So it makes sense to produce 3D scenes that include wet surfaces and puddles. In this article I will be studying how rain affects materials and how to re-produce them in the virtual environment. To start I set out after a rainy day to take some photo’s in my local area. Paying particular attention to how rain affects tarmac. The way light bounces back from the wet tarmac really equalises the scene.

puddles edit

This is the result of the tutorial video. This gave me a node setup I understood by following the tutorial. So adding modifications is easy and understandable. From the result I highlighted areas for improvement. I wanted to take full advantage of the displacement map; so that the water slips into the lower spaces in detail. To do this I multiplied the bump map in the material nodes to get this result.

Realflow Demo

I learnt from my time at The-Neighbourhood that Realflow (particle simulation engine) can be used to create complicated and realistic water effects. This software is largely used in the VFX industry to create such effects for films and simulations.

I’ve spent some time learning this software and I’m happy to post my first results!

Using 3DS Max allowed me to use 3rd party render engines, giving me fantastic results! Although importing Realflow simulations does not support motion blur, I found rendering a short sequence then bluing them together afterwards created a similar result.

Excited to use Realflow in future projects!

Metal-infused

crystalorange out small

Crystals infused with metal. A clean lit scene with a glowing orange rock in the center. I’v started exploring further into the uses of displacement maps, the rock and metal fragments are created from different maps. Originally just spheres. The crystals were generated and then I moved them so they radiate outwards from the orange glow, drawing your eyes into it.

Created from my crystal sketches

Few crystal sketches

Under shallow water Hotel

Another personal project during my time at The-Neighbourhood. I was experimenting with using caustics in the Vray rendering engine and came up with the idea to produce a caustics lit scene. This scene is a corridor for a underground hotel. The ceiling is glass and allows the light to glimmer through the shallow water causing interesting and moving lighting.

Polaroid FMP

FMP. My final major college project is about cameras and film photography. My sketchbook well documents how my ideas have changed over time, initially I wanted to create a car advert but looking ahead of time, I needed to change my idea so it was realistically possible. I then found a project idea I was happy with, then developed it recording each step. Rebranding Polaroid, a well known company from past to present for producing film cameras. The project theme became: Instant memories.

I wanted to advertise the joys of film photography, and encourage the younger generation to continue using this dying  technology. This project required alot of background research into advertising and the product market. From this I learnt key aspects needed to create a successful advert.

Mixing my knowledge of product design and graphics I produced a new camera design aimed specifically at the project’s audience. The 3D side of the project became a key role featuring in the video. I wanted to show off the new camera design, which was best expressed through the help of visualisation tools. This also allowed me to place the improved camera into the advert seamlessly.

An experiment using 3D printing and motion tracking. For the project I wanted to experiment using new CGI techniques. I took advantage of 3D printing technologies and figured it would be easier to motion track an accurate model generated on the computer. This worked perfectly! This is a short video but shows the trick works. Using a mirror ball environment map of the scene before filming created a further realistic and natural look. Tracked and rendered In Blender3D.

 

The examiner was pleased with my work, I received a Merit for my final grade 😀