Car-Design WIP

  • Previously I have built cars from blueprints and reference images. Well for this project (perhaps series of projects) I’m designing from scratch! To start there is always research required. Looking at the big brands: Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Porsche and McLaren as main design inspirations. Paying particular attention to body flow. This is an on going project!
  • Using Blender3D I created a scene of lines, that would represent the main features. I will only be using Blender3D for the design part of the project, this will provide high quality blueprints I can work with using other software.
Overall Progress
7%
Line Design (Current Stage)
45%
  • Connector.

    Current Stage

    Many iterations of line design have been made and there are still modifications to make. This stage is vital to the rest of the project.

Studying Puddles

Rain is part of the environmental cycle. So rain is seen every now and again, whether we like it or not! So it makes sense to produce 3D scenes that include wet surfaces and puddles. In this article I will be studying how rain affects materials and how to re-produce them in the virtual environment. To start I set out after a rainy day to take some photo’s in my local area. Paying particular attention to how rain affects tarmac. The way light bounces back from the wet tarmac really equalises the scene.

puddles edit

This is the result of the tutorial video. This gave me a node setup I understood by following the tutorial. So adding modifications is easy and understandable. From the result I highlighted areas for improvement. I wanted to take full advantage of the displacement map; so that the water slips into the lower spaces in detail. To do this I multiplied the bump map in the material nodes to get this result.

Polaroid FMP

FMP. My final major college project is about cameras and film photography. My sketchbook well documents how my ideas have changed over time, initially I wanted to create a car advert but looking ahead of time, I needed to change my idea so it was realistically possible. I then found a project idea I was happy with, then developed it recording each step. Rebranding Polaroid, a well known company from past to present for producing film cameras. The project theme became: Instant memories.

I wanted to advertise the joys of film photography, and encourage the younger generation to continue using this dying  technology. This project required alot of background research into advertising and the product market. From this I learnt key aspects needed to create a successful advert.

Mixing my knowledge of product design and graphics I produced a new camera design aimed specifically at the project’s audience. The 3D side of the project became a key role featuring in the video. I wanted to show off the new camera design, which was best expressed through the help of visualisation tools. This also allowed me to place the improved camera into the advert seamlessly.

An experiment using 3D printing and motion tracking. For the project I wanted to experiment using new CGI techniques. I took advantage of 3D printing technologies and figured it would be easier to motion track an accurate model generated on the computer. This worked perfectly! This is a short video but shows the trick works. Using a mirror ball environment map of the scene before filming created a further realistic and natural look. Tracked and rendered In Blender3D.

 

The examiner was pleased with my work, I received a Merit for my final grade 😀

 

 

MSF14

College project to create a poster promoting the Manchester Science festival. As groups we visited MOSI, Manchester’s museum of science and industry. I did sketches and took many photo’s that could become useful as research. However most of the museum was about locomotion and air travel, I wanted to move away from this and started looking into the small world of Biology.
Scanning electron microscopes took my attention because of the extraordinary level of detail they could produce.
I thought the bright neon colours would stand out on the poster. Using my technical knowledge I was able to recreate the electron microscope effect in a virtual 3D environment I could manipulate. Blood cells are probably the most known or at least easiest cell to recognize. I chose a simple ‘into the distant’ composition.
I’m pleased with the result, my tutor during a group critique session mentioned that would of made a powerful drug awareness poster. I agree with my tutor and I also think there could be many other applicants for the graphic.