Previously I have built cars from blueprints and reference images. Well for this project (perhaps series of projects) I’m designing from scratch! To start there is always research required. Looking at the big brands: Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Porsche and McLaren as main design inspirations. Paying particular attention to body flow. This is an on going project!
Using Blender3D I created a scene of lines, that would represent the main features. I will only be using Blender3D for the design part of the project, this will provide high quality blueprints I can work with using other software.
Line Design (Current Stage)
Many iterations of line design have been made and there are still modifications to make. This stage is vital to the rest of the project.
I learnt from my time at The-Neighbourhood that Realflow (particle simulation engine) can be used to create complicated and realistic water effects. This software is largely used in the VFX industry to create such effects for films and simulations.
I’ve spent some time learning this software and I’m happy to post my first results!
Using 3DS Max allowed me to use 3rd party render engines, giving me fantastic results! Although importing Realflow simulations does not support motion blur, I found rendering a short sequence then bluing them together afterwards created a similar result.
An original design from the Nike SB line, versions of this shoe are continuously being released with different materials and colours. This project took about 15 hours from start to finish. I modeled from scratch using Blender 3D, I chose Blender because of its efficiency and speed aswell as being my most native software. The modeling process is described in the picture below.
For this project I found using the curve tools very useful and easy to manipulate if something is out of place or needed correcting. The most difficult part was modeling the five punch outs on the front of the shoe, using a boolean method proved too complicated and the mesh was uneven. to overcome this I had to manually draw the geometry to keep a smooth surface as well as keeping the punch outs.
As with any project, rendering is what most interests me. I used Otoy’s Octane renderer, speed of results was needed to preview the materials as I was making them.
College project to create a poster promoting the Manchester Science festival. As groups we visited MOSI, Manchester’s museum of science and industry. I did sketches and took many photo’s that could become useful as research. However most of the museum was about locomotion and air travel, I wanted to move away from this and started looking into the small world of Biology.
Scanning electron microscopes took my attention because of the extraordinary level of detail they could produce.
I thought the bright neon colours would stand out on the poster. Using my technical knowledge I was able to recreate the electron microscope effect in a virtual 3D environment I could manipulate. Blood cells are probably the most known or at least easiest cell to recognize. I chose a simple ‘into the distant’ composition.
I’m pleased with the result, my tutor during a group critique session mentioned that would of made a powerful drug awareness poster. I agree with my tutor and I also think there could be many other applicants for the graphic.